Here’s an easy way to enjoy fresh summer blackberries during their peak season. This super simple Blackberry and Parmesan Appetizer always pleases and pairs beautifully with a glass of crisp white wine – perfect for outdoor cocktail parties, or a seated Al fresco dinner. The sweet and tangy blackberry fruit, salty chunks of cheese and peppery flavors of our Glory Kitchen Cairo nut & spice mix create a lovely combination of flavor. Parmegiano reggiano cheese is robust and nice on its own, however, when partnered with tangy blackberries you get a fresh burst of summer flavor.
This same recipe would also pair well with our Glory Kitchen Mumbai nut & spice mix. The pungent Indian flavors in the Mumbai blend adds a nice heat to the sweet honey and fruity berries. Feel free to swap out the berries as well. If you have access to fresh-picked blueberries, raspberries or strawberries, all would be a great match with salty parmesan slices.
No slaving away at a hot oven for this appetizer. With just a few ingredients and several minutes of slicing, this Blackberry and Parmesan Appetizer can be served to guests in no time. Enjoy!
Blackberry and Parmesan Appetizer
Yield: approximately 6 servings
- Cairo nut & spice mix
- 10-12 oz.fresh blackberries
- 1/2 lb block parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey + more for drizzling
- 1/2 lime juice, fresh
- 1 handful mint, fresh
- Slice about 1/3 of the blackberries in half lengthwise and place all the berries into a bowl. To this berry bowl, add balsamic vinegar, honey and fresh lime juice. Sprinkle in some of the mint which has been sliced (julienned) very thin. Using a spoon, carefully turn and mix the berries to incorporate the juices. Set the berries aside to macerate for about 30 minutes.
- Take the block of parmigiano reggiano cheese and carefully cut it into slices (see photo).
- If serving this appetizer on one large platter, arrange all the cheese slices on a serving plate. If serving individual portions, arrange the cheese, fanning it out on one side of the plate. For individual servings, I would place about 3-4 slices per person.
- Just before you are ready to serve, spoon the blackberries beside the parmesan cheese slices.
- Drizzle the parmegiano reggiano cheese with a bit of honey and then sprinkle it generously with Cairo nut & spice mix mix and torn fresh mint leaves. Serve immediately with a chilled glass of white wine.
© Glory Kitchen | all recipes and photographs are the property of Glory Kitchen